Sunday, April 11, 2010

An Illustrator and a Painter in One: Gary Kelley's Story


I've always wanted to learn illustration. Illustrators must have a fantastic eye in order to see AND distort/caricature the human form.

A recent article in Art Bistro on Gary Kelley (read the entire article here) highlights an artist/illustrator. I love the below quote.

"Although his skills are still in demand, the artist said the landscape for illustration has changed with the ascension of computer graphics and the decline of printed books. There are simply less spaces that require illustration, and some jobs are filled by computer-aided illustration, much to a purist like Kelley’s chagrin.

“It drives me up the wall when people tell me that they have computer programs that can create the same effects as my painting,” he said. “Why would you want to do that? The end takes over and justifies the means, and I like it the other way round. I enjoy the smell of this paint; I enjoy what it feels like to scrub and wear a brush down on canvas, and if you can’t feel that, you’re never going to get it.”
"

No comments: